What Happens If I Get a DUI While Visiting Colorado?

By November 10, 2016Thomas Law Firm

Tourism is up in Colorado (three guesses as to why), and with the number of new Colorado visitors coming to enjoy our gorgeous landscapes and the uh, exotic flora, as it were, we’re seeing more and more people put themselves at risk of DUI and DUI-D charges. So, with this in mind, what should Colorado visitors know if they are unfortunate enough to meet Johnny 5-0 while staying in our state? Will what happens in Denver stay in Denver, or will you face problems back home due to a Colorado impaired driving charge?

Colorado, like most of the states, participates in the Interstate Driver’s License Compact. This means that if you are convicted of an offense, like DUI or DUI-D, that results in the suspension of your driver’s license, our state will notify your home state of that suspension. From there, the Department of Motor Vehicles in your state will consider penalties such as suspension or revocation of your driver’s license back home. Additionally, Colorado law is a bit stricter on reinstating driving privileges for non-residents.

Penalties for Colorado DUI for Non-Residents

If this is not your first DUI or there are aggravating factors (high BAC, accident causing injury), you will likely face jail time in Colorado.
If you receive probation for a Colorado DUI, the process of having it transferred back home can be complicated. Your home state is required to accept a probation transfer if:

  1. This is your second impaired driving conviction
  2. The probation term is more than 90 days
  3. You have complied with the terms of your probation up through transfer
  4. There is a supervision plan for the receiving state
  5. You are a resident of the receiving state

If you are arrested and charged with a Colorado DUI and are not from Colorado, your best course of action is to speak to a DUI attorney in our state.

TLF Attorneys

About TLF Attorneys