When you get a DUI, you might get fined, lose your license or even have to serve time in jail. But these are not the only effects of a DUI. We’ve compiled a short list of some other complications that could arise as a result of a DUI conviction.
- That DUI conviction is going to follow you everywhere you go for the rest of your life. You can’t get it expunged or sealed unless your charges are dismissed across the board. It sucks, but the DUI will always be there in your background.
- Your car insurance payments are going to go up, and probably by a significant amount. If you have life or health insurance, those might also go up.
- You might not be able to travel to some countries, such as Canada. This can affect you in both the personal and business sense.
- If you are leaving or coming back to the United States, you can be delayed at customs or even prohibited altogether from travel.
- You will always have to check “Yes” on the past criminal convictions box for job applications.
- You could be denied a concealed weapons permit.
- You could lose a CDL.
- If you are in the military, you might be discharged or denied future advancement.
- If you are a doctor or dentist, your license may be suspended until you have been rehabilitated for drug or alcohol dependency.
- If you are a college athlete, you could lose your scholarships. You may face other sanctions from your school, as well.
- If you are looking for a loan, your interest rates may be higher.
- You may be denied the ability to rent an apartment if the owners consider you a high-risk tenant.
- Your DUI can be used as leverage in a child custody battle.
- People can view your arrest record on the Internet.
- You might have to install and pay for an ignition interlock device, costing $50 per month for up to two years.
- If you are caught driving on a suspended license, your car could be impounded and you will have additional criminal charges and potential jail time to face.
There are dozens more reasons to avoid drunk driving, but if it is too late for you and you’ve already been arrested, it is urgent that you speak to a DUI lawyer. Doing so could help get your charges reduced, preventing some of the horrible consequences listed above.
Thomas Law Firm – Denver Drunk Driving Lawyers